Tuesday 17 September 2013

Food

I admire my classmates who were adventurous with the food in Shanghai. As you know, Chinese cuisine is very diverse and every region has its own style of cooking. Some people tried dog, duck head, chick on a stick (literally a chick on a stick!) and various other delicacies. As a vegetarian, my choices were very limited. I found myself eating lots of boiled rice on its own and was very glad I packed multi-vitimans! Going into Chinese Tesco proved very interesting. You could help yourself to raw chicken wings from a large, open bin - Pick'n'Mix style, select a live fish or eel from a bucket for your dinner or purchase chicken with the head still on. I felt so lucky to have a fridge in my room, which allowed me to store cheese slices to make cheese sandwiches (along with plenty of cold drinks!) Surprisingly, crisp flavours included cucumber and lemon tea!

Tesco







Chicken feet

 Eels

Food from stalls in Xitang



Believe it or not this was my favourite meal


Food from the meal out with my Chinese family

I'm not too sure what this was made of, but it was a lumpy jelly texture with a mild sweet flavour and a Chinese date in it. I was told that it is good for stomach pains and is eaten for breakfast or before a meal. 

This was spicy fish which came in a bowl of hot oil and cucumber.

These were baby bull-frogs in a sweet sauce

Birthday Cake Oreos! In my Marketing class I was told that when Oreos were first introduced in China during the 1990s, Kraft adapted the recipe to be less sweet in order to appeal to Chinese tastes. 

We found this turtle shell on our way to class one morning! You could order turtle at the Korean restaurant on campus.

Authentic Chinese food is not for the faint-hearted!

No comments:

Post a Comment