Friday 6 September 2013

Arriving in China

Since I only have a desktop at home bringing a laptop to China wasn't an option for me, so this blog has been compiled upon my return to the UK.

After a door to door journey of over 24 hours, I arrived in Shanghai! Naturally, the mixture of nerves and excitement I had been feeling for the past few days was more intense than ever. I was lucky enough to have a friend from my course (Social Anthropology at the University of Edinburgh) participating in the Study China programme. We acquired some friends at our stop over in Dubai who were also about to embark on this adventure too. By the time we reached our university, ECNU, there were 11 of us.

I found a return Emirates flight from Glasgow (via Dubai) for around £670. This split the journey into two roughly equal parts. A taxi from the airport to our university was just under 400RMB (£40) since it was 2am we were on a night rate. Our taxi to the airport coming home was just over half of that because it was early evening (or perhaps it was because a helpful student volunteer negotiated a price with the driver for us!)

The heat hit me as soon as I stepped out of the airport (for those travelling to China in the Summer, do yourself a favour and have a short sleeved t-shirt under your comfy flying clothes!) and after a little wandering around a dark (but beautiful) campus, we found our accommodation. I was extremely relieved to find it very clean, modern and complete with a fridge containing bottled water!


Entrance and Bathroom...



Our Bedroom...





We were also lucky enough to have a little living area...




No comments:

Post a Comment